Thursday, April 2, 2009

Late Start to Garden 2009

I can't believe it's already April 2nd! I had serious plans for my garden this year. They were going to include 3 varieties of tomatoes, a more serious attempt at watermelons, and peppers! That was before I remembered that I am leaving the country for 3 months, starting July 31. That cuts my normal summer growing time in half! And, while I'm sure I could get some smaller tomatoes ripe by then, I wouldn't be able to glory in all of their deliciousness through the end of the season. So, I'm cutting out all those long growing season vegetables this year and sticking to things that will grow well early and quickly. So far, I've started a lot of sugar ann snap peas. I'll probably try lettuce, spinach, beets, and chard in addition. Same as I tried last year, but in greater quantities, now that I will have more buckets free.

No comments: