[photo by CJ Hoppel]A couple of months ago, I found out I'd be moving out of my dorm and into an apartment with access to the roof! Of course, my first thought was to create a roof garden.... I do love making things grow =) So, I hatched a vague plan and here it is:
1) plant some seeds to be ready for transplant in May
2) get some 5 gallon paint/anything buckets and paint them so they're pretty =)
3) go to NYC Compost Giveback and get me some buckets of free compost
4) cut some old carpets to size and lay them underneath my buckets of compost so the buckets don't damage the roofing material
5) set the buckets out in an appropriate design
6) mix some Super-Absorbent Polyacrylamide Water Crystals into the compost for flowers
7) mix some manure into the compost for veggies.... Mmmm yummy, good thing my nose doesn't work
8) transplant my seedlings!
9) devise and implement some type of watering system
10) Water, Fertilize, and Watch Grow!!!!
11) Eat the eatibles, Smell the flowers